Friday 7 March 2014

Nicaraguan moon and fumigation

Just a quick post about two random observations that surprised me this week:
1. The Moon
I was driving home the other night and saw the Nicaraguan moon (see below).  For some reason I was surprised to see that the crescent was on the bottom not the side of the moon...hello North American-centrism. So the next day I looked at the textbooks that they had at NCA-Nejapa and they are all published in England or the United States... so a figure of the moon like this would never show up in their books.  I have noticed before that as you travel closer to the equator the Big Dipper gets closer to the horizon, but somehow, this phenomenon has alluded me.  
picture taken from the internet... mine did not turn out well
2. Fumigation 
Last night at about 8pm, I was talking with Aleida in her apartment, and there was a loud motor sounding noise outside.  It was the fogger truck!  We quickly went to close the windows, as to avoid the majority of the pesticides in her place.  Apparently they were fogging for mosquitoes since there has been some Dengue fever lately in Managua. I know being from the Lower Mainland has exempting me from the fogging experience in Canada (the only other time I have seen it is in Winnipeg - Lynnette!), but in Canada there is usually some warning that the trucks are coming by.  While I appreciate that they are looking out for people, as the DDT clears, I got to wonder why are there are so many mosquitoes when its the dry season and it hasn't rained in months?  


3 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa. We have often noticed the same thing about the moon.


    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa. You should moon the moon. Dont take a picture of your moon though-that would be inappropriate for the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. dude... dont get dengae fever k... not cool

    ReplyDelete