Thursday 24 April 2014

Nicaragua: big and small things that I have learned here

In Nicaragua, I have been able to learn a lot about missionaries and their families, and how they live out their faith through serving another country.  I have been blessed to learn a few things, some not so serious...many may seem obvious to you, but for me some were surprising:

1. Community.  The missionaries here have really created a community of support for each other, that I think is unique.  The Nehemiah Centre bases its identity on this, but it is a great glimpse into God's kingdom to see people of different denominations working together, learning from each other and playing together. I think that the biggest way that this is seen is through the sharing of meals together.  Every Monday night, the Loftsgard family hosts a dinner for anyone who wants to come (and replies to the email).  They share their space and generosity of spirit with the whole community.  Not only that, there are nights every week to get together and play sports (basketball, volleyball, ultimate) and for people to fellowship that way. There is a feeling of small town here in a big city.

2. Missionaries don't have to live in poor conditions.  I know for myself, I envisioned that missionaries are all people that live in poor conditions so that they can spread the gospel...and I know that some people are living that way, but it's definitely not for everyone.  In fact, I have always thought this is one of the unfair things about being a missionary; not only do you have to usually move away from your family and comforts of home, but you also have to live in possibly lowly conditions.  One of the things that I have been able to do here was visit a lot of different people's homes and see how through wealth of resources, people and communities can also be served.  Though I don't think that the mission field is for me, it is nice to know that people are having some of the comforts of home as well.

3. Missionaries struggle with their faith.  In the last couple weeks at International Christian Fellowship (ICF), there has been a sermon series on spiritual formation.  I have really appreciated hearing from different missionaries about how they don't have it all together.  As a Christian community, it is good to admit our short comings, I know I am bad at that, and so serve others.  It is a comfort to me that all people are constantly working out their faith.

4. Earthquakes can be a part of regular life.   Okay, so I know that we are suppose to be afraid of the "big" one, but earthquakes that I have experienced here have been a lot of shaking, and some concern, but mostly exciting.  In fact, some people had to keep a glass of water near by so that they could distinguish between earthquakes and their imagination.  While I have the advantage of living in a fairly stable house, the general population of Nicaragua does not, and I understand why the people here are very worried.  In fact, schools are cancelled this week, due to earthquake tremors, until the earth settles down a little.

5. Ebooks.  Until coming here, I have not used the Surrey Public Library ebook system, and now I am addicted!  I brought 2 paperbacks and besides that my SPL has been keeping me in good books the entire time I have been here.  I also was happy to find a lot of people are big readers here, and it has been great trading titles with them!

6. Swimming every day is good for your soul.  It is also a good way to cool off in hot, hot, hot Nicaragua.  I had the advantage of coming home everyday from volunteering at school to an empty pool.  There is something so relaxing and freeing in swimming some laps everyday, and submerging in the water.

7. SolRx is the best sunscreen ever.  I found this type of sunscreen in Hawaii a few years back, and I ordered it online before coming here.  It is a dry sunscreen that has to be washed off with soap and water, but I choose toxins over rays!

8. Communication with home, no matter how small is important.   I have really appreciated those people who have commented on my blog, Facebook or written an email to see how I was doing. Even though its only a little time, its nice to feel connected to home!  I can see now why people supporting missionaries through prayer, emails, letters can be so important.

9. Local food is the way to go, but sometimes you just need some good chocolate.   Nicaragua has some great fruits and vegetables, as well as a lot of rice and beans.  I have really enjoyed the local pineapple, mango and avocado and do not look forward to the mealier versions of home.  On the same note, sometimes you just need some good north american made chocolate to get you through the day.

10. Growing up as a woman in Nicaragua is really hard.  I know that I am suppose to say all the things that I love about Nicaragua as I put on my rose coloured classes before going home...but the group that I do not envy here are the women of Nicaragua.  These women work hard at home, serving their families as well as some also work outside of the home.  People rejoice in boys being born, not girls.  Women in general are subjected to catcalls as they walk down the streets.   This is not an ego boost, maybe particularly to a North American who was taught that her value did not lie in her appearance...what are the Nicaraguan girls learning from this? On the bright side, things are changing, generations of women are bringing up boys to view women differently.

11. There is beauty everywhere.  You just have to open your eyes to see it, every day.  Despite it being the end of the dry season here, Nicaragua is a beautiful place.  A huge variety of biomes and cities, there is much to see and explore here that is still relatively untouched.  While I sometimes long for the ease of home, I am consistently delighted in the small things...a lizard on the wall, a bat flying overhead, and the moon and stars so clear at night. (I see all these things every night here!)

I am sure I have learned more than this, but just some of my reflections on my time here, adios, Nicaragua!

No comments:

Post a Comment